Monday, July 1, 2013

The contents of the brown bag

I am very excited about getting off sweets.  I know it sounds rather silly, but I guess it is because now I understand a little more about why for me eating sweets is not a good thing.  As I was writing my blog the other day and telling the world of my commitment, I started thinking about when I got off sugar in the past.

In 2002, I moved to Conway and started graduate school.  I was so excited to be out on my own and viewed it as a fresh start.  I found out about a group called Overeaters Anonymous and I went to several meetings. I related to what the group members shared.  I knew and still know that food has a big part in my life.  I knew that I ate when I was upset, happy, or angry.  I knew that where others would stop eating and feel full I just couldn’t seem to stop.  I knew that something kept from losing the weight and keeping it off. 

So pretty soon after joining OA I started a food plan of eating three meals a day, no second helpings, and no snacks.  It was hard at times. The idea of sweets sometimes would get in my mind and wouldn’t go away, but I had the support of others to help me through.  I started losing weight and by summer I had lost almost 100 pounds. All of my friends and family were so proud of me. I remember going clothes shopping, and buying an entire new wardrobe. I felt good, and I was so excited about my progress. 
I remember the day I decided I wanted some ice cream and I was tired of not being able to be like everybody else. I wanted to be able to eat sweets. I pulled into Subway/TCBY and anticipated eating a large Reece’s Peanut Butter cup shiver with extra candy.  I was getting so excited about getting to eat my favorite combination of icecream and candy.  Then in the rear view mirror I see my Uncle pull up behind me. I panicked.  My entire family had been hearing me talk about being off sugar and had seen  me lose all this weight.  If he saw me order the icecream, what would he think?  A thousand thoughts ran in my head. He waved, and I slightly waved back.  As I pulled up to the window, the lady was getting ready to hand me my cup full of yumminess. I quickly said, “ Can you please put that in a bag?”. She looked at me like, What the heck?  I repeated myself, “Would you mind putting that in a bag for me?”  I grabbed the bag and quickly drove off. I think by the time I got home, I was so stressed out about the situation that I probably didn’t even enjoy the icecream.

Now looking back it is rather funny. I have since shared the story with my Uncle, and we all got a good laugh about it.  In reality, though, I really did panic.  I really was so afraid of people finding out that I ate some icecream, that I wasn’t perfect, and them thinking “Oh she fell off the wagon again”.  There is such a part of myself that wants to share my story, my difficulties, and my struggles. But them there is a part of me, a big part of me, that is scared.  What I am learning about myself is that when I am feeling ashamed, scared, or upset I turn to food, and then it just creates more of the problem that I am trying to fix.  I have promised myself that I will not beat myself up about my eating anymore. This is a process for me as much as it is the person that is struggling with 20 pounds. 

And I guess I say all this to say that we are all trying to figure life and ourselves out. We did not come with an instruction manual.  I am going to continue to fall down just like everybody else. But I am determined to keeping getting up and stay in the race. Most importantly I am committed to no longer feeling ashamed of who I am.  So if you happen upon me and I am eating a Hot Fudge Sundae come sit beside me. I will buy one for you too;)

No comments:

Post a Comment