Sunday, June 30, 2013

Why I really can't just eat one Pringles?


Last week I started reading a book called Fat Chance by Robert Lustig. I am by no means a technical writer, so I am not going to try and explain all the details, but what I will say is that the book made me look at the foods I eat differently. The book specifically talked about the way our body processes sugar and the impact the processing process has on our body. It talked about the way our body processes and responds to artificial sweeteners as well. From my understanding of what I read even though drinking a diet drink may not make you gain weight, it causes the same fluctuations in your body's insulin as sugar. 

I wish I understood more of what I read to be able to explain it all better, but for me it just hit home things I had already been thinking about. One of the concepts the book talked about was how a large portion of the obese are insulin resistant. This resistance, if I understood correctly makes it harder and harder for you to be satisfied. Your body doesn't get that fullness feeling, and so you need more and more food to feel satisfied. This makes such sense to me, and explains some of things I have been experiencing such as hardly ever feeling full.

In 2003 I got off sweets for almost a year.  At the time I didn't fully understand why except that I was told I was addicted to food. Over that year, I lost over 100lbs and felt great, but i always felt like i was punishing myself. I ended up going off the plan, and gaining the weight back. I have tried limiting sweets to once or twice a week, but it never satisfies me and so I eat more and more. 

I have known for years that I needed to get back off the sugary junk, but I think I just didn't understand why, and felt like I was in someway being mean to myself by trying. It almost felt like a punishment as I said above. Reading that book, and researching the topic made me understand the why behind what I knew I wanted and needed to do. It also made me understand why some people can eat a piece of chocolate or something and be satisfied, and why I cannot. 

The reality I have accepted about myself is I love food. I think about food as much as some think about a hobby, and that isn't going to change. Nor do I think it should. But what I am committed to doing is honoring my body with good foods that I have taken the time to plan out, prepare and enjoy. I deserve that. 

My husband and I have committed to gradually moving to "clean eating" lifestyle. My first big commitment is to get off the diet drinks and sweets. I plan on only eating fruit for dessert the first 30 days and then I may or may not try some clean eating desserts after that on a limited basis. It will depend on how it impacts my body. 

I have also committed to making four other changes this month which I will blog on throughout the week. I am excited about continuing to share my journey. Although this week, my blog will focus more on the food I know that is only a small percentage of the greater issue. I am still day by day learning to love myself and honor myself with good food and a good life. 




No comments:

Post a Comment