Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Is obesity a disease?

http://gma.yahoo.com/video/ama-declares-obesity-disease-125013059.html

I thought this video was very interesting. The video shared an interview on Good Morning America about whether or not obesity was a disease. I think a great point was made in regards to this issue in the sense that it really doesn't matter how you label obesity. Is it a disease, an addiction, or something else? I think the more important question like was mentioned on the interview is what to do about it?

The sad part or disappointing part of this interview for me was that when he started talking about the solution he only mentioned diet and exercise. A lot of diet books and weight loss programs are all about reducing intake and increasing exercise. I totally agree that is an important part. For some people that really is the only part. Some people are able to change the way they are preparing food, make some food habit changes, and add in exercise and be able to get to a healthy weight. Now I by no means intend on over simplifying their weight loss and making it seem like it is easy. Any weight loss takes determination, prioritization, and hard work.

What bothers me is that there is no mention of looking at other factors such as depression, anxiety, boredom, grief, anger, unresolved issues, habits, or other factors.  I just think our society needs to broaden their perspective on obesity and look from many different perspectives instead of just from a medical perspective.

I think obesity is like anything else. There are a lot of stereotypes associated with obesity such as these individuals are lazy or they don't take care of themselves. I think until we focus on each individual and their specific issues relating to food and overall body image, we are not going to see obesity rates go down.

2 comments:

  1. What some commentators don't understand is that nobody wants to be obese. We don't think to ourselves "I'm going to go see if I can get my BMI over 30." They act as though we don't try to lose weight, diet, exercise, and take care of ourselves but many of us have been down these roads multiple times.

    I have found dealing with doctors more difficult in recent months (I gained about 20 pounds while finishing my dissertation and being depressed in the aftermath). I haven't been able to lose that weight. I was up over 250 pounds for the first time in my life. My doctors have tested me for diabetes more times than I can count; I have also had multiple obesity panels done because of well-meaning doctors who don't get that my health problems predate my weight problems. I finally have doctors who are listening to me, but it takes a lot to find doctors who will look beyond weight issues to find health problems.

    In other words, these stereotypes about obesity not only undermine our mental well-being, but they can also harm our physical health because of doctor biases. I don't expect society to put me on the cover of a lingerie magazine, but I definitely think obese people should be treated with dignity and respect. And it is weird that although people are being asked to stop bullying others, that weight hasn't been brought up more in this discussion. I hope that people will start discussing this problem like adults instead of like a bunch of kids on the playground one day.

    (By the way, this is Christi McC, since my Livejournal name will be the one showing up at the bottom).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with you. I wish more people in the medical profession would learn to look at the whole person. I have a great gynecologist, but am struggling with finding a good primary doctor. I would love to find a doctor that would ultimately say yes weight loss would greatly help, but here is what we can do to help you now. There is such a negative connotation associated with being overweight. You are right we need to talk about it, and hopefully attitudes will start changing! Love you girl! So proud of all you have accomplished.

    ReplyDelete