Thursday, July 11, 2013

The next chapter begins

Obviously, I have had better weeks.  There is no easy way to be told you no longer have a job, but I would argue there are better ways. On the other hand I will say that I have been impressed with what came after and the resources made available. I am thankful for being given the opportunity to slow down and really evaluate my next move.

I am thankful that despite being upset, I have been open to listening. It is through listening this week that I have learned that I have been approaching my career the wrong way. I have found jobs mostly based on fear of not finding anything. I have learned to say what I think people want to hear to get the job. Today I realized that I need to start with what I want, and proactively seek that out.

A friend of mine this week challenged me to be 100% committed to what I want. The conversation got me thinking, and I realized there were a lot of things I was never 100% committed too. I have always held a little back. I think I was afraid to give 100% and find out it wasn't enough.

I remember a long time ago watching an episode of Oprah where she had a guest that talked about how we are the CEO's of our own life. He challenged us to evaluate how well we were doing. Truth be known I should be fired. I haven't been doing too good of a job. I'm not beating myself up. I'm just being honest.

I believe I have a lot of talents and skills, but I feel like I've been standing on the edge of the pool afraid to jump in the deep end. I love being in the deep end, but it is the process of getting there that scares me. I don't like the feeling of loss of control when you give all you can give and your unable to fully control the outcome.  

So I have challenged my self this week and next week to make my own personal business plan for my life. I want to look at what my mission is, my strengths, my weaknesses, my successes, my failures, and my overall goals for my future. I am excited to start this process and see what the next chapter in my life will bring. 

No comments:

Post a Comment