Sunday, July 7, 2013

How to stop a moving train

I may have written about this before, but I once had a therapist explain to me that changing a habit was like trying to slow down a moving train.  She went on to say that you wouldn’t just step in front of a moving train and expect it to stop.  She went on to say that our habits our like moving trains, and we can’t just expect them to stop immediately because we want them to.  

That day in her office I heard what she said, but I didn’t fully understand it.  I probably still don’t, but what I do know is what I have been doing in the past regarding my weight has not been working.  I have tried every diet and program that is out there.  Okay maybe not every program, but it seems that way. I have gotten good at “white knuckling” things for a little, but never had permanent change.  That is what I want more than anything.  I know you never really move on from taking care of yourself, but I am ready to reach a point of peace in regards to my weight. 

This morning I got up and I decided to weight again even though it was not my scheduled weigh day.  I didn’t see the results I wanted and started freaking out. I started thinking I have to make changes. I need to start counting calories again. I need to exercise every day, and the list went on and on.   I am glad that I thought of that day in my counselor’s office.  I reminded myself that I have proven over and over again I can lose weight, but that is not what I want this time.  I want to develop a healthier and more active lifestyle, but I have had 35 years to develop an unhealthy lifestyle.  I’m not making excuses, but what I am saying is that I am learning that it is more important for me to make 1 change a week or every 2 weeks that I can genuinely sustain than white knuckle it only to gain it all back when I can’t be perfect. 

Last week I decided to get off sweets and diet drinks. I can’t say I didn’t miss the Diet Dr. Pepper, but I understand more the impact sugar and even artificial sweeteners have on my body.  For the next two weeks I plan to continue that change plus I plan on focusing on cooking more at home. I know in order for Josh and me to get healthier, we have to cook more at home.  We have both agreed to limit eating out to two times a week which is a huge reduction in the amount of eating out we normally do.  This goal includes meal planning and grocery shopping.  

A year from now, I want to look back on the last twelve months and know that Josh and I have made changes that will help us live a longer and healthier life, and be able to pass those healthy changes on to our children. I want to feel confident in my ability to maintain the healthy changes.
I know that all of us have goals and changes we are trying to make.  Whatever your goal is, I know that we can reach those goals.  I think the most important thing we can do as we make changes is to be gentle with ourselves. That doesn’t mean making excuses or letting ourselves off the hook, but it means trusting ourselves enough to believe that we know what works and doesn’t work for us.  Slowly but surely we can stop the moving train. 

No comments:

Post a Comment