Monday, January 21, 2013

Progress not perfection: My goal to live on less without going crazy in the process!

    My husband and I just finished a three day weekend. I had this idea that by this time of the night I would be sitting laid back, homework done, kitchen cleaned, and a month worth of meals cooked/mostly prepared in the freezer.  (lol...what was I thinking?)
   Saturday I woke up ready to shop and buy groceries. I had already mapped out what I wanted to purchase for my big cooking weekend, but I didn't realize how much time it would take to cut, clip, an match up coupons with the items I wanted. I had planned out some of the shopping and was able to hit Target, Staples, and Harps, but wasn't ready to finish everything out at Wal-mart.  I got a lot of great deals and ended up earning some unexpected money in the process, but by the end of the day I was really tired.
     Looking back on the day, I wish I had taken a moment to step back an reevaluate my goals for the weekend. It really didn't matter if I had everything cooked for this weekend, and I needed to focus on my school work as well. Now it is Monday night and I kindof feel like I didn't get much of a weekend.  It taught me a lesson though because I don't want to get burned out on trying to make positive changes. 
     There are always going to be deals out there, coupons to clip, and ways to save money. I have to remind myself to keep my mind focused on why I want to save money. It is so we can have more of the life we want, and it be less stressful not more.  Listed below are some tips and ideas about saving money that I have learned.

1.  Check out some of the coupon sites such as krazycouponlady.com and moneysavingsmadness.  Krazy coupon lady is by far my favorite. They match ads with the best coupons. They have helped us saving money on groceries, gas, and lots of other items.

2.  Fill out an send off rebates quickly. I get a lot of free items at staples, but it doesn't matter if I don't fill out the rebates an send them off. I just spent about 10 miniutes getting over $60 in rebates ready to mail off. Some of them you can even submit online.

3.  Be creative in making money.  I have found all types of ways to make money such as mystery shopping, filling out surveys, and evaluating websites. For me it is a better way to earn money than a second job.  This past weekend I was up for an upgrade on my Iphone. I checked the prices being offered on my phone on Gazelle.com, and i was able to get the phone, and sell my current phone for Gazelle.com for $130.00. That is in addition to the activation fee.

Would love to hear from you if you have any ideas about how to save money and live on less!

No comments:

Post a Comment